Sunday, August 9, 2015

Chai Time Recs

Featured Artist: Degas


I recently saw this painting at the Barnes Foundation in Philly. The above picture is linked to a post in the Smithsonian magazine where you can read about Degas and his ballerinas in more detail. I am a dancer, although not a professional and I absolutely love the above picture. The dancers are waiting in the wings to perform and Degas has made them look so graceful.

Featured Music: Cheerleader by OMI

This song is a total guilty pleasure. It's incredibly catchy. Not a particularly thought provoking song but it really gets me in summer mode and makes me want to take a trip to Jamaica. 

Featured Movie: Mr. Holmes 

I LOVED this movie. It was so different from the other Sherlock Holmes movies that have been released in recent years. It shows Sherlock as an elderly man, many years after his last (unsolved) case. Ian Mckellan is brilliant. He struggles with memories of the extraordinary detective he once was, and tries to deal with the vagaries of old age. 

Featured Photo:  From Humans of New York

This picture sums up the frustration that I often feel as a young woman in Medicine.

As a Marylander and a lover of all things Poe, I had to feature this poem first. It is spooky and wonderful and I never tire of hearing it. 

Featured Book: Hyperbole and a Half 
Written and illustrated by Allie Brosh, Hyperbole and a Half started as a blog. It is laugh out loud funny and I couldn't put it down. Filled with hilarious stories from her awkward childhood as well as a piece on depression that was particularly poignant. 



Please send me your submissions! I want to feature artists, musicians, poets, photographers, and writers from all over.

For the month of August, I'm going to
review the following books : 

The Gaugin Connection by Estelle Ryan
Death of the Mad Hatter by Sarah J Pepper 

No comments:

Post a Comment