Sunday, August 11, 2013

Book Review: Arabelle's Shadows by Fleur Gaskin


It's been a very long time since I've updated! I've been so busy, but I finally had the opportunity to sit down and read Arabelle's Shadows. This book was not at all what I expected! I expected a lighthearted and fun tale about the modeling world. Instead, I read about the experiences of a model struggling with depression.

In Arabelle's Shadows, Arabelle, a young girl from New Zealand, recounts her experiences as a model, primarily in Asia and Europe. Having had some experience with the subject matter, this book was a little tough for me to read. My heart ached for the main character, who just couldn't seem to catch a break. I enjoyed that it was written in a journal format, although the constant shifting back and forth between different time periods and places became a little confusing at times. One issue I had, however, especially at the beginning of the book was that Arabelle seemed detached from the world around her and what was happening to her. I think this was intentional, given her depression, but it took me some time to become emotionally invested in the story. Once I did however, I was really rooting for Arabelle, and hoping that she would get better soon!

Arabelle is constantly traveling to new places and meeting lots of people. This keeps the reader on their toes and keeps things interesting, but it becomes hard to keep up at times! The descriptions of the places that she visits are well-done. I was eager to leave my worries behind and hop on the next plane to Kuala Lumpur or to Milan! Additionally, the supporting cast of characters were colorful and well written. I would have liked to learn more about certain characters, such as Carmen, Lada, Keiko and Ploy, but given Arabelle's constant traveling, this would have been difficult to accomplish. Technically speaking, the book is well written and carefully edited. I also felt that it was appropriately paced. The ending of the book was realistic. Without spoiling the book completely for everyone, I will simply say that I was satisfied with it!

All in all, this is an interesting book that resonated with me. I look forward to reading more of this author's work, and more about Arabelle if any sequels are in the works!

My Rating: 3.5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment